Ex-professional polo player accused of sexually assaulting five young girls

Leading polo player on child sex chargesSimon McLaren-Tosh, on committee of Hurlingham Polo Association, remanded in custody after appearing before Slough magistrates accused of attacks

A leading member of the polo world has been remanded in custody accused of sexually abusing five young girls all aged under 13.
Simon McLaren-Tosh – a former professional polo player who is on the committee of the game’s ruling body, the Hurlingham Polo Association – was arrested on Sunday.
The 49-year-old appeared before Slough magistrates for the first time on Tuesday.
He is accused of five charges involving young girls, who were allegedly attacked in Bracknell.
McLaren-Tosh​ also ran a livery and polo management company. A former member of the Royal Berkshire Polo Club, he is accused of filming his young victims during the alleged indecent assaults.
Magistrates heard the father-of-two was accused of sexually assaulting the five young girls on two occasions between April and August last year.
Tina Flannery, prosecuting, said police officers went to his home last year and seized phones and computers.
McLaren-Tosh was arrested by Thames Valley Police after returning from a holiday to France last month and was then released on bail. He was re-arrested and questioned by police on Sunday before being charged.
McLaren-Tosh owns two businesses – Berkshire Classic Cars, which buys and sells collectable motors, and Livery and Polo Management.
He spoke only to confirm his name and deny five counts of sexual assault on a child under 13 years when he appeared at Slough Magistrates’ Court.
The court heard that since the allegations first emerged, McLaren-Tosh had moved out of the family home he shared with his wife and two young children and moved in with his parents in​ Devon.
McLaren-Tosh was once a polo professional and won the Roehampton Trophy in 2000. He also sits on the world-wide rule-making committee of the Hurlingham Polo Association.
Magistrate Anne Brown remanded him in custody to appear at Reading Crown Court for a preliminary hearing next month.