Statement by the HPA:
From 01 January 2018, helmets must be type approved to the standard PAS015:2011 with CE mark (type approval must be performed by a UK headquartered Noted Body for Personal Protective Equipment), SNELL E2001, VG1 01.040 2014-12, or UTAC/CRITT 04/2015.
Casablanca will be introducing a new helmet called the “NEU” which meets PAS015:2011 with a target launch date of 1st November. La Martina are also bringing out a new helmet (no name released) and testing procedures are to be conducted at the end of September. Falcon have decided not to certify their helmet.
Please note, there is a new standard, BSEN1384:2017, which has just been published. Our policy is to follow the BHA helmet standards.
BHA (British Horseracing Authority) Helmet Regulations
Skull caps and safety vests
Design of skull cap
1. A skull cap is approved by the Authority if it meets (BS) EN 1384: 2012*, PAS 015: 2011, SNELL E2001, VG1 01.040 2014-12, or UTAC/CRITT 04/2015.
2. The skull cap must not have a chin cup, cradle or draw lace.
3. The chin strap must pass under the jaw and be attached to the harness by a quick release buckle.
4. The skull cap must not have metal hooks.
*(BS) EN 1384: 2012 will be removed as acceptable standards on and after 1 January 2017.
Fitting of skull cap
5.1 The skull cap must be of the correct size for the Rider and must be correctly fitted and fastened.
5.2 The face harness must be correctly adjusted and the chin strap fastened at all times when the Rider is mounted on a horse.
Design of safety vests
6. A safety vest must conform to (BS) EN 13158: 2009.
7. A safety vest must not be
7.1 modified in any way, or
7.2 attached to the horse or any equipment carried by the horse.
8. As regards a whip carried in a flat race
8.1 the maximum length (including flap) is 70 centimetres, and
8.2 there must be no binding within 17 centimetres of the end of the flap.
9. As regards a whip carried in a steeple chase or hurdle race
9.1 the maximum length (including flap) is 68 centimetres, and
9.2 there must be no binding within 23 centimetres of the end of the flap.
10. The minimum diameter for a whip is 1 centimetre.
11. The overall weight must not exceed 160 grams.
12. The contact area of the shaft must be smooth, with no protrusion or raised surface, and covered by shock absorbing material throughout its circumference such that it gives a compression factor of at least 6 millimetres.
13.1 The only additional feature that may be attached to a whip is a flap.
13.2 If a flap is attached, it must comply with the following requirements
13.2.1 the maximum length of the flap from the end of the shaft is 10 centimetres;
13.2.2 the maximum width of the flap is 4 centimetres, with a minimum width of 2 centimetres;
13.2.3 the flap from the end of the shaft must not contain any reinforcements or additions;
13.2.4 the flap must have similar shock absorbing characteristics to that of the contact area
List of approved helmets 29.08.17:
Manufacturer Model Standard
Charles Owen Palermo Polo PAS015:2011 and VG1 01.040-2014
Charles Owen Polo Edition PAS015:2011 and VG1 01.040-2014
Charles Owen Young Rider Polo PAS015:2011 and VG1 01.040-2014
Armis Armis PAS015:2011 and VG1 01.040-2014
GPA Speed Air/X2 UTAC/CRITT 04/2015
Instinct Polo TBC PAS015:2011