THE SEASON NUMBER 12 OF THE OFFICIAL WORLDWIDE RANKING OF POLO
With the ending of the Sojo and Lalor Cups in Palermo, the season number 12 of the World Polo Tour, the official worldwide ranking of polo, came to an end.
Some highlights of this year:
– Adolfo Cambiaso on top of the ranking for fifth year in a row.
– The top 5 is composed by 3 players of La Dolfina (Cambiaso, Nero, Stirling) and 2 from Ellerstina (Facundo and Gonzalo Pieres).
– Inside the Top 10 there are 2 non-argentinian players (Stirling and Ribeiro de Andrade), plus Polito Pieres, who born in the US.
– In the Amateur ranking, and after an unforgettable 2017, the northamerican Bob Jornayvaz closed the year on top of the board with 669 points, 24 points more than the already retired, Orchard Hill´s Steve Van Andel.
– The ranking is made from a total of 1742 players who have participated in at least one of the tournaments that compose the International circuit. Currently, there are 55 tournaments, split into 5 categories.
– These 55 tournaments take place in 10 different countries, most of them in Argentina, England and United States.
– The tournament that gives more points is the Argentine Open Championship, with 300 points for each of the players of the winning team.
– The World Polo Tour has the only worldwide annual calendar, with the most outstanding tournaments of the sport.
The choosen ones of November and December are the following:
Professional: Sapo Caset. Sapo once again proved his quality as an international top player throughout the Argentine Open, where he showed a great level and together with the Alegría team he was very close to beating Ellerstina to get to the final. He crowned his 2017 with the regain of the 10-goals.
Amateur: Ricardo Jara. The Chilean had the chance of playing for the first time the Thai Polo Cup Argentina with the Real Time team, together with his compatriots Matías Vial, Manuel Crespo and Gonzalo Bello
Pick of the month: Mackenzie Weiss. The young 14 years-old player, showed a great performance during El Remanso Cup and throughout each tournament he participated in. He ended up the year with a raise to 1 goal.
Professional: Adolfo Cambiaso. When his team needed him the most, and his rivals looked for him, Adolfito showed that his magic is still intact and played, probably, his best Palermo final in several seasons. It was the 14th Open for him, fifth consecutive and the 11th for La Dolfina since it was born.
Amateur: Alejandro Agote (h). With 16 years of age, he won the President´s Cup together with his father Alejandro and Rufino and Pancho Bensadon. Also he had his handicap raised from 2 to 3 goals.
Pick of the month: Victorino Ruiz Jorba. “Torito” won the Provincia Cup to crown an unforgetteable year, that had him as the star during the season at Greenwich. He also achieved the Technopolo Cup together with La Trinidad. His handicap raised from 5 to 6 goals.
Professional: Adolfo Cambiaso. A year full of successes for Adolfito: US Triple Crown, with a recognition for Cuartetera clone 09. Then he played the Nations Cup with the Argentine jersey. In England, where he switched team after 16 years with Dubai, he helped RH to retain the Queen’s Cup. Already in Argentina, and with Valiente La Dolfina jersey, together with Bob Jornayvaz, he claimed the San Jorge and the Jockey Club Open. In the Triple Crown, he got his fifth consecutive Tortugas Open by beating Ellerstina in the final. Finally, he closed the year with his fifth Open in a row, reached the 100 games and 900 goals in Palermo.
Amateur: Bob Jornayvaz. Ungorgettable year for Bob: CV Whitney Cup, USPA Gold Cup, Us Open, own tournament in Denver with Adolfo Cambiaso and he made history in Argentina: he won together with Valiente La Dolfina the San Jorge Open and the Jockey Club, he played with the 4 players of La Dolfina in both tournaments.
Check out the complete ranking on World Polo Tour.