The USPA Intercollegiate Polo Scholarship was launched in 2015 and has awarded at least six, $4,000.00 scholarships a year. Awards are auto-renewable up to four years provided that the students meet playing and eligibility requirements. Six awards are available in 2019 to applicants that meet the following requirements:
- Applicant must be a current USPA member in good standing.
- Applicant must be or have been an active team member of an interscholastic polo program, competing in at least two of four years of their high school career, with priority going to players who competed in their senior year, as proven by appearing on their team’s USPA official Interscholastic Team Roster and on USPA I/I Official scoresheets for that team, in an official Qualified game, in which the Applicant plays, for each year.
- Attending a college or university with an existing intercollegiate polo program.
- Applicant must be an active team member of an intercollegiate polo program, as proven by appearing on their team’s USPA official Intercollegiate Team Roster and appear on, at least one USPA I/I Official scoresheet for that team, in an official Qualified game, in which the Applicant plays, in the current academic year. Current intercollegiate players must also meet the interscholastic polo requirement.
- GPA Requirement of: 3.0.
- In good standing with their college or university.
- Two non-relative letters of recommendation:
- One from a registered USPA Member attesting to students: polo skills, horsemanship, sportsmanship and character.
- One from a community member: e.g.: teacher, employer, etc.
- Essay: 200 words or less, describing a polo experience of choice.
2019 National Intercollegiate Championship Teams. ©Mike Ryan