The Thoroughbred Incentive Program (T.I.P.) and United States Polo Association® (USPA) announced that they will recognize Thoroughbreds that are excelling as polo horses through seven awards. For a Thoroughbred to be eligible for these awards, it must register for a free T.I.P. number.
“Polo is just one of many disciplines in which Thoroughbreds can succeed following their racing careers, and T.I.P. is pleased to partner with the USPA to honor the accomplishments of these horses at all levels of polo,” said Kristin Werner, senior counsel of The Jockey Club and coordinator of T.I.P.
Each award winner will receive an award sash and special logo prizes. The categories for each award are:
- High-Goal Horse: for a Thoroughbred that has played in at least one 2021 USPA High-Goal (16+ Goals) Outdoor Tournament
- Medium-Goal Horse: for a Thoroughbred that has played in at least one 2021 USPA Medium-Goal (8-16 Goal) Outdoor Tournament
- Low-Goal Horse: for a Thoroughbred that has played in at least one 2021 USPA Low-Goal (Less than 8 Goals) Outdoor Tournament
- Arena Polo Horse: for a Thoroughbred that has played in at least one 2021 USPA Arena Tournament.
- Lesson Horse: for a Thoroughbred used in a lesson program at a USPA Member Club.
- Intercollegiate/Interscholastic (I/I) Horse: for a Thoroughbred that has played in an I/I Regional or National Tournament in 2021.
- Women’s Polo Horse: for a Thoroughbred that has played in at least one USPA Women’s Tournament in 2021.
“The USPA is excited to work with the Thoroughbred Incentive Program to highlight the Thoroughbred’s long history in the sport of polo” said Justin Powers, Executive Director of the United States Polo Association Polo Development LLC.
Applications will open on the T.I.P. website on Monday, November 1 and close Tuesday, November 30. The 2021 winners will be announced in January and selected based on the application and an essay. Applicants will be judged by a committee formed by the USPA and T.I.P. To check registration status, please log into your account at www.registry.jockeyclub.com.
Created and announced in October 2011, T.I.P. recognizes and rewards the versatility of the Thoroughbred. Additional information about T.I.P. is available at tjctip.com and on the T.I.P. Facebook page.