The University of Connecticut’s (UCONN) polo team is seeking to fill the role of Coach starting in the fall semester of 2022 and beyond. UCONN Polo is based in an on-campus barn and indoor arena in Storrs, Connecticut. UCONN horses are managed and supported by the Department of Animal Science and the team is supported through the University’s Club Sports. UCONN Polo Team has a long history of participating in the USPA Intercollegiate Program and recently won the 2022 USPA Division II Women’s National Championship.
The polo coach is responsible for structuring practices geared towards college players with previous polo experience in preparation for games and tournaments, while fostering a safe and educational environment for students andhorses. Practices are semi-weekly (twice per week for 90 minutes and games) during the fall and spring semesters.
- Work with individuals and large groups of students (up to nine simultaneously) to run drills, provide personalized instruction and organize practice chukkers
- Match students with horses based on skills and learning needs
- Work to improve students’ horsemanship and hitting skills and teach polo rules and strategy
- Provide constructive feedback to individuals and teams during lessons and games
- Attend weekend home and away games with team
- Attend Coaches’ meeting and report to the Director of Riding
- Communicate with the Team Advisor regarding games and events
- Communicate with UCONN Barn Management regarding horse use and any horse health issues
The ideal candidate will be a proficient polo player and rider with experience in polo instruction and coaching, with a solid understanding of the game of polo, including strategy and rules. Preference will be given to USPA Certified Polo Instructors and/or those with umpiring experience. Candidate should be familiar with basic veterinary care, safe horse handling practices, and possess strong communication skills.
Please contact Kim Syme at firstname.lastname@example.org.